Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Colin and Jonny's Roadtrip to Nowhere

Happy Easter one and all!

I hope whatever you did proved enjoyable.

Mine....well mine was, let's just say a wee bit different.....

As you may, or may not be aware, England took on my home country, Northern Ireland on Saturday in a world cup qualifier. And, as luck would have it, I managed to get 4 tickets. So it was deicded that the PopTart and I would head off to Castle Greyskull, The Theatre of Nightmares, home of that pub team Manchester United, to watch the game.

By car.

We would go via Stansted airport to pick up my brother Darren and his mate, before embarking on a trip to Manchester to join in the fun.

So it came to pass, that we set off from Turnhout in the middle of nowhere in Belgium at 03:30 CET Saturday morning and embarked on our journey of epic proportions.

The match itself was one of the best I've ever been to. Our support was incredible.

The fact that we were beaten 4-0 (with 4 lucky goals) did not matter one jot. For when it came down to the crunch the Northern Ireland supporters were not left wanting when it came to the party stakes.

Despite being outnumbered 10 to 1, we outsung them before, during and after the match. We might be ranked 114th in the world but our fans are number one!

I can honestly say it was one of the best games of football I have ever been to.

And for anyone who questions my sanity in driving a 1600 km, 18 hour round trip, surviving on less than anhours sleep over a 50-odd hour period, to watch a game of football that we lost 4-0 and for me to say it was one of the best games of football I have ever been to -you only have to look at this short clip to see why it was all so worthwhile...

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=great-escape

No comments:

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE WONDERFUL PEOPLE OF BELGIUM

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE WONDERFUL PEOPLE OF BELGIUM I have seen the Noel Gallagher comments on the city of Brussels and how boring it is and I...